Presented by Cavender’s
Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District
This month marks the 17th Annual National Day of the American Cowboy (NDAC) celebration in the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District. Presented by Cavender’s, NDAC in the Stockyards is listed as one of the top five best places to commemorate the day by American Cowboy magazine. This year, the legendary, community-wide celebration of the cowboy and our Western heritage will take place July 22, 2023.
The family-friendly bash will be 10 a.m.-8 p.m. along E. Exchange Ave., on the lawn of the Fort Worth Livestock Exchange Building, and at Cowtown Coliseum, John Wayne: An American Experience, Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, and Stockyards Museum. Among the festivities will be chuck wagon cowboy poetry reading, face painting, and live music, along with contests like Riscky’s BBQ rib eating, cow milking, armadillo racing, and fiddling. All of this is in addition to the twice-daily cattle drive (11:30 a.m. & 4 p.m.), and a special cowboy celebration parade immediately following the 11:30 a.m. drive. After taking a shot at all the contests, stick around and enjoy the many shops, restaurants, and activities throughout the Fort Worth Stockyards.
An opportunity to celebrate history and heritage of the American Cowboy, NDAC gives families and visitors the opportunity to experience and appreciate the role cowboys and cowgirls of all ethnicities have played throughout history and today.
WHEN: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Parade 11:30 a.m. WHERE: Along E. Exchange Ave. in the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District
WHY: NDAC in the Stockyards is not only great entertainment, but an educational opportunity for people of all ages, too. Western authenticity for the entire weekend strengthens Fort Worth’s claim to some of the best Western heritage festivals in the country.
- Stockyards Championship Rodeo, 1:30 p.m. & 7:30 p.m. at Cowtown Coliseum
- Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen: Hold My Beer and Watch This Tour, 10 p.m. at Billy Bob’s Texas
- Horseback riding, stagecoach rides, and petting corral
- Pony, mechanical bull, and mini train rides
- Grapevine Vintage Railroad’s Trinity River Excursion
- Cowtown Cattlepen Maze
- Historic walking tours
- John Wayne: An American Experience, Stockyards Museum, and Tex-as Cowboy Hall of Fame
Daytime Events (10 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Riscky’s Rib Eating Contest – Be-gins 11 a.m., finals 12 p.m. $10 at door, 30 participants max, first-come, first-served
- Fort Worth Herd Cattle Drive -11:30 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Cowboy celebration parade – Immediately following 11:30 a.m. cattle drive
- Fort Worth Herd Experience – 1-2 p.m.
- Live music on stage
- Fiddle contest
- Chuck wagon cowboy poetry reading
- Three face painting stations
- Cow milking contest (Whoever milks a cow the fastest wins a prize!)
- Tournament-style armadillo racing, without using hands
- Comedy gunfight shows
Thanks in part to the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District, Pub-lic Improvement District 11, Stockyards Heritage Development Co., Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, Cowtown Coliseum, Fort Worth Stockyards Business Association, and the Fort Worth Herd for their continuous efforts to preserve our Western heritage and bringing this event to life.